Tuesday, January 4, 2011

She's HERE!




She's here! She has arrived! Georgia Marie was born at Georgetown hospital on 1-2-11 at 3:48am and weighed 8 pounds 5 oz.

Though I have no frame of reference, I would say the labor was pretty smooth and dare I say, easy. I woke up Saturday morning with some pains in my stomach. I had a feeling it was starting so I went ahead and took a shower and straightened my hair. Then I got upset because I thought the pains had gone away. I was dreading going to the doctor on Tuesday and having to be induced. I really wanted to experience the whole labor process and did not want to show up for a scheduled labor. I wanted the surprise. Well, that's what I got!

My mom had been planning to come by with dinner for us. I called her and suggested that she bring any items she planned on needing for spending the night at the hospital, just in case. Good thing I did! I ended up feeling some pretty good gas-like pains. I walked around, timed them and felt like they were pretty tolerable. I took a bath to relax and then got my bags in order. I called the doctor and based on what I relayed to him, he offered for me to come in or to stay at home for as long as I could take it. I decided to stay home as I was nervous that the labor wasn't even real labor and they'd just send me home. About an hour labor it was a joint decision between me, Mom and Bill to go to Georgetown. On the way there I was still thinking that I should have stuck it out at home a little longer. Good thing I didn't! They checked me and I was already almost 7cm. The doctor was shocked based on how I explained my pain on the phone to him. I was immediately given my epidural and the process started.

I have to say, I was surprised at how calm the whole thing was. I didn't cry or yell. I joked that I was having a quiet Scientology birth. Truth be told, my mom cried enough for all of us! I was in such a state of shock and couldn't believe that it had all happened and she was here.

We moved in our recovery room the following morning with our little pumpkin and immediately started sending out texts and emails. Bill sent a note to Mike Allen from Politico Playbook and what do ya know, Miss Georgia was announced in Sunday's email edition. We are still getting emails from people who saw her birth announcement in Playbook. She's famous!

We are now home and settling into our new normal. We are so blessed to have such a lovely little lady in our lives. She is such a cuddler.

Big shout out to the staff at Georgetown. They were amazing!!!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Alison and Bill! I am just elated that Georgia has finally arrived and I am so enjoying the pictures. I am shocked and so happy that your labor went so smoothly, Alison. You were made to have babies and that is a wonderful thing! I can't wait to watch Georgia grow. I can tell that she is going to be just gorgeous. I haven't even met her and I love her so much!
    Hugs, Kisses and Lots of Love,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! She's so precious! I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you straightened your hair...I did too before both of my births :-). She is precious and hope you are settling in at home!

    ReplyDelete