
Well, Bill did it! He wrangled his way into meeting Elton John! And Billie Jean King. Bill has GUTS. He was DETERMINED to meet his hero. We have been to this charity tennis match two other times. Elton and Billie Jean host it at a different college each year. Last year they had it at LSU and this year it was American University. Ironic! We get the VIP tickets each year so we can go to the auction and see all the tennis stars and get close up to Elton, but we have never been able to meet him. Until this year. Bill has sent emails to the organizers, Billie Jean King's partner even (!), to try to get us into the photo area. No one said no, but no one said yet either. When Bill saw the corporate sponsors and big donators lining up for their photos with the cohosts, he got right in line like he was supposed to be there, too. I hung back, quite embarrassed and worried that he would get us kicked out. He was the last in line and as they were shutting down the photo op he went up to a woman and said how he had spoken to Ilana (Billie Jean's partner) about getting a photo taken. I still don't know why that worked, but it did. I guess if you look like you belong, people think you belong!
Bill pulled me into the line and we were escorted through a curtain to meet Billie Jean and Elton. We shook their hands and Bill told them how we go to this event every year. They were truly grateful for the support. Bill also made sure to tell Elton that we were at his album release concert in NYC last month for his new album with Leon Russell. That impressed both of them immensely and again they thanked us for our support. It really felt as though THEY were happy to meet US. Both were such class acts.
I can honestly say that I think this evening will, for Bill, rival our wedding day and the birth of his first child. I am not sure when he'll come down off of this high!!
No comments:
Post a Comment